The Longswamp Township Planning Commission meets on the first Tuesday of each month at 7:00 PM at the Township Building.
The Planning Commissions primary role is to plan. The Planning Commission is a body of citizens that serve within the local government, acting as an advisory group to the Board of Supervisors on issues and policies related to planning, land use regulation, and community development. The Planning Commission works to develop plans and implementation policies that affect how the community manages changes in growth and development.
The Longswamp Township Planning Commission is a five member commission that works to advise the Board of Supervisors on municipal planning matters. They meet once a month to discuss proposed development, planning initiatives, new ordinances, etc.
Planning Commissioners are appointed by the Board of Supervisors and represent the municipality at large. Planning Commissioners do not represent any particular person, business, or group within Longswamp Township. Our Planning Commission strives to provide input and guidance that will positively affect the entire Township and excuses themselves from m any actions where a conflict of interest could be perceived.
The Planning Commission plays a crucial role in shaping the future of the community by taking the lead in reviewing and evaluating land use and development issues in both the short-term and the long-term. The specific responsibilities of the commissioners are outlined by the Municipal Planning Code (MPC), Pennsylvania Sewage Facilities Act and the Pennsylvania Storm Water Management Act. These legislative acts empower the Planning Commission to:
- Make recommendations to the governing body concerning the adoption or amendment of an official map.
- Prepare and present to the governing body a zoning ordinance and make recommendation to the governing body on proposed amendments to it.
- Prepare, recommend, and administer subdivision and land development and planned residential development regulations.
- Prepare and present to the governing body a building code and a housing code and make recommendations concerning proposed amendments thereto.
- Do such other acts or make studies as may be necessary to fulfill the duties and obligations imposed by the MPC.
- Prepare and present to the governing body an environmental study.
- Submit to the governing body a recommended capital improvements program.
- Promote public interest in, and understanding of, the comprehensive plan and planning.
- Make recommendations to governmental, civic, and private agencies and individuals as to the effectiveness of the proposals of such agencies and individuals.
- Hold public hearings and meetings.
- Present testimony before any board.
- Require from other departments and agencies of the municipality such available information as it relates to the work of the planning agency.
- Review the zoning ordinance, subdivision and land development ordinance, official map, provisions for planned residential development, and such other ordinances and regulations governing the development of land no less frequently than it reviews the comprehensive plan.
Members of the Longswamp Township Planning Commission -
- Preston Boyer - Chairman
- Mark Story - Vice Chairman
- David River - Secretary
- Charles Moore - Member
- Gregory Kupar - Member