This website uses cookies to store your accessibility preferences. No personal / identifying information is stored. More info.

LS Trapt logo

When do I need a permit?

When do I need a Permit?

A Permit is required for…

  • Storage Sheds – even if it is pre-fabricated
  • New Homes/Additions
  • Replacing structures destroyed by natural causes (Weather, fire, etc.)
  • Structural Modifications (Interior bearing wall relocation)
  • Porches
  • Interior/Exterior stairs and railings
  • Adding bedrooms/bathrooms
  • Decks/patios
  • Swimming pools – in-ground or above-ground
  • Wells
  • Driveways – constructing new, modifying or resurfacing
  • Signs
  • Timber harvesting
  • New businesses
  • Electrical service – replacement or upgrade
  • Farm buildings (including open sided sheds)
  • Home occupation
  • Rental units
  • Moving and occupancy – when moving from or to existing home in Township

A Permit is NOT required for…

  • Replacement of windows
  • Replacement of doors
  • Re-roofing a building

How to apply for a permit…

  • Fill out and complete all necessary pages of the official Township Permit Application Packet – this can be found on our website or picked up at the Township Office
  • Submit the application, plans/drawings, insurance information, and an application fee of $50.00 to the Township. (Cash or check accepted, no cards)
  • Once all is received by the Township, it will be sent to the Zoning Officer for review. When approved, applicant will be notified that the application has been processed and is ready to be paid for, signed, and picked up at the Township Office. We are unable to send permits out until they are paid for and signed.
  • If application is denied, the Zoning Officer will let applicant know why and how to adjust/correct the application.